North Texas Daily

Parking provides another semester of discontent

Parking provides another semester of discontent

May 01
00:06 2015

Tiffany Ditto / Contributing Writer

Searching aimlessly, looking down every row hoping someone will back out, wondering if you have enough change in your pocket because today you will probably have to use the meter.

This scene appears normal to a UNT commuter. During busy hours, the university simply does not have enough lot space to accommodate the growing number of students.

“By 9:30 a.m., everyone is already there,” film and political science junior Pedro Cruz Martinez said.  “I have to get to class on time, and when there isn’t anywhere to park sometimes I’m forced to pay for the parking garage even though I have a premium pass.”

According to a study done in 2013, UNT had as many as 36,221 students enrolled with 81 percent considered commuters. Out of the other 19 percent that live on campus, 41 percent of students have vehicles. With the university continuing to grow, it’s no surprise lots are overcrowded.

Current commuters can purchase a general parking pass for $135 a year, or a premium pass for $225 a year. However, due to overcrowded lots during busy hours students are often forced to seek out alternative places to park. They often have to choose between costly parking garages, or risk leaving their car at one of the parking meters, which typically have a one-hour maximum time limit.

The garages can often cost more than the permits, charging $10 a day in the Highland Street Garage, and as much at $27 a day in the Union Circle Garage.  The high rates from the garages cause some students to park in faculty lots and chance getting ticketed or towed.

“It’s unfortunate if you pay for a pass and can’t park,” UNT police officer Peter Gonzales said. “We don’t go out looking to cite. We only write tickets if you have the incorrect permit.”

While students grow more frustrated with the current situation, the administration has no future plans to build more parking lots. The UNT Master Plan only calls for the construction of more parking garages that are expected to also charge by the hour, although UNT president Smatresk has said the university is exploring its parking options.

“We will continue to survey our parking lots and evaluate how we can improve the service,” Associate Director of Parking and Transportation Mary Mabry said. “But creating additional surface parking lots is not necessarily the best use of a limited resource.”

About Author

Reporter

Reporter

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

The Roundup

<script id="mcjs">!function(c,h,i,m,p){m=c.createElement(h),p=c.getElementsByTagName(h)[0],m.async=1,m.src=i,p.parentNode.insertBefore(m,p)}(document,"script","https://chimpstatic.com/mcjs-connected/js/users/de9596854f37498d65b58fa8f/42480106fd1ae582112be0c96.js");</script>

Search Bar

Sidebar Thumbnails Ad

Twitter Feed

North Texas Daily @ntdaily
@DentonCountyOEM: The Winter Storm arrived quicker than previous forecast. There are slick spots on the road, & multiple accidents reported. @TxDOTDallas & other crews are aware & treating roadways.If you can, PLEASE stay off the roads!(1/2) https://t.co/lUerXQOkMc
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
SPORTS: Men’s basketball defeats Texas-El Paso for third straight win📝: Jillian Nachtigal - @jillnachtigal 📸: Matt Iaia - @iaiaphotographyRead more: https://t.co/ww8FQPZee1
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
@jillnachtigal: Back in the Super Pit where North Texas MBB will take on University of Texas-El Paso.North Texas still holds the No. 2 spot in the conference with a 8-3 record. UTEP is No. 6 with a 4-5 record.Tip-off in 30 mins! Updates below⬇️ @ntdaily https://t.co/7OUusbgLPr
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
SPORTS: Men’s basketball wins close contest over Texas-San Antonio📝: Jillian Nachtigal - @jillnachtigal 📸: Maria Crane - @mariacranemediaRead more: https://t.co/7z6m0kxskq
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
OPINION: Music’s multifaceted benefits create more accessible options for patients📝: Madelynn Todd - @madelynn7694 🖼️: Erika Sevilla - @jasperbeeeRead more: https://t.co/ZnA16oO5z7
h J R

Sidebar Bottom Block Ad

Flytedesk Ad

Instagram