North Texas Daily

Career Center hosts networking workshops

Career Center hosts networking workshops

Career Center hosts networking workshops
November 06
08:33 2013

Michelle Tendai Bushe / Intern Writer

Updated 5:30 p.m. Nov. 11: The “Demystifying Networking” workshop has been rescheduled for today from 6 to 7 p.m. in Chestnut Hall 120.

Updated 1 p.m. Nov. 7: The “Demystifying Networking” workshop has been postponed to a later date due to health complications, according to an email sent out by the Career Center just after noon today.

A date has not yet been set for the rescheduled event.

Original post Nov. 6: The UNT Career Center is hosting a “Demystifying Networking” workshop at 7 p.m. tomorrow in Chestnut Hall Room 120 A and B.

UNT career advisor Erin Shults will be facilitating discussion.

“The event will have a discussion and some practice on networking,” she said. “A lot of students now depend on online postings when they graduate. Only 20 percent of jobs that are open are posted online so that leaves 80 percent of jobs that can be attained through connections.”

The career center will host a networking event featuring about 30 professionals on Nov. 13. The “Demystifying Networking” workshop is a form of preparation for students.

“They will learn how to make use of a networking event not just by collecting a significant amount of business cards but by establishing relationships in their field,” Shults said. “You need to be able to maintain the relationships you build.”

This event is open to all students, but Shults said she encourages students in the College of Music and College of Visual Arts and Design and creative writing, dance, theatre, RTVF and Broadcast programs to attend because the event on November 13th will feature professionals in those fields.

“[Attendees should] just be prepared to network with the students that are in the room at the workshop,” she said. “I don’t want to just lecture. I want the students to practice with the people that will be in the room on the night of the networking event.”

The event will cover 30-second speeches to sell yourself, how to maintain a relationship through resources such as LinkedIn and how to use your connections to find jobs.

“Networking is about getting connections that will help you in your career. It’s all about who you know, not what you know,” hospitality junior Bailey Moody said.

Shults said students need to be open-minded and branch out to network with people in other majors. A journalism student may need a visual arts and design person in the future and a musician may need a journalist to cover his or her performance. She said it’s about understanding how people can help you and looking beyond your small field.

“To me it’s having a reliable connection that can benefit both of us for a cause that’s greater,” said criminal justice sophomore Christopher Lopez.

Shults said she hopes to help students approach new people who might help them with future job prospects.

“Students mostly struggle with understanding how to open up dialogue with someone they have never met before,” Shults said. “I’ll have students overcome this by helping them to understand why they should be comfortable.”

Feature photo: Networking graphic courtesy of 

About Author



Related Articles


No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

The Roundup

<script id="mcjs">!function(c,h,i,m,p){m=c.createElement(h),p=c.getElementsByTagName(h)[0],m.async=1,m.src=i,p.parentNode.insertBefore(m,p)}(document,"script","");</script>

Search Bar

Sidebar Thumbnails Ad

Twitter Feed

North Texas Daily @ntdaily
@marialawsonn: Applications for paid positions with @ntdaily are now open for the spring semester! We have openings for section editors, copy editor/designers, senior staff writers and photographer, digital media manager, managing editor and design editor! Apply on Handshake. #unt 📰
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
@Reed_Smith25: 30 minutes out from kickoff between North Texas (6-6) and Miami (OH) (6-6) at the Frisco Football Classic.@ntdaily is going bowling, folks.Follow this thread for live tweets, updates and analysis in this matinée bowl game matchup!
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
ICYMI: Dominant play pushes men’s basketball toward win against UMass📝@Tzac24 📸@TylerLukerNTD
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
@TylerLukerNTD: @MeanGreenMBB will be tipping off against the UMass Minutemen in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Classic at 3:30 p.m. today! The Mean Green hope to improve to 5-3 on the season. Tune into this thread for live updates. @ntdaily
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
All-Conference USA Team announced: North Texas football with seven selections📝@Kvn_Wlkr14 📸@zachdelbello
h J R

Sidebar Bottom Block Ad

Flytedesk Ad