North Texas Daily

TWU dorm catches fire, cleared for re-entry

TWU dorm catches fire, cleared for re-entry

October 27
00:54 2014

Joshua Knopp / News Editor

Fire truckThe bottom floor of TWU’s Stark Hall was briefly aflame around 11 p.m. Sunday night.

Public safety director Elizabeth Pauley said a drying machine that was not in use had an electrical problem that started a fire. The sprinkler system put it out, but caused enough smoke to trigger a fire alarm an evacuate the building. The fire department quickly arrived, and the building was cleared before midnight.

Provost and vice president for academic affairs Bob Neely said the emergency alerts and evacuation plans all went smoothly.

“All the vice presidents were in contact with each other immediately,” Neely said. “Everything worked out as it should.”

Housing director Joe Berthiaume said it is too early to tell what went wrong with the dryer.

Feature Photo: A Denton Fire rescue truck sits outside TWU’s Stark Hall after a small fire saw the building evacuated. Photo by Joshua Knopp – News Editor

About Author



Related Articles

1 Comment

  1. Rick
    Rick January 22, 21:16

    Glad they retrofitted that dorm with fire sprinklers,. It could have been bad news for all the residents without it.

    Reply to this comment

Write a Comment

Search Bar

Social Media

Sidebar Thumbnails Ad

Twitter Feed

North Texas Daily @ntdaily
RT @thereal_Suarez: UNT is having a historic night in the Super Pit. They’ve surpassed program records in regards to assists (20) and and t…
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
ICYMI; Mean Green loses in dramatic fashion to visiting Sooners
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
Mental health organization seeking student support with online petition
h J R
North Texas Daily @ntdaily
Improvised space gaze with Denton band Maestro Maya
h J R

Sidebar Bottom Block Ad

Flytedesk Ad